Sunday, October 12, 2008

Candidates, one more time...and a sort of endorsement...

I wasn't terribly pleased with my first illustration of Barack Obama, so I attempted a second one, something that would complement the John McCain one I did better. Above is the new one, below is the old one, and the McCain one.


My aim with these isn't to tear either candidate apart. They're more caricature exercises , as well as pen and ink exercises. I've never been very good at dealing with politics in my work, or maybe it is because I don't want to appear partisan.

(And now, to contradict myself...)

But I will say right now that I've supported Obama since his primary campaign, and will continue to do so beyond Election Day, whether or not he wins. I simply think that he is the best candidate for this time, someone who can bring an intelligence and wisdom to the office of President. I think his energy policy has a long term strategy to it, instead of the short term 'drill now and forever' thinking that has taken over the Republican party. And I think his level-headedness will do well for domestic and foreign policy, a steady hand to bring us through the problems at hand. More than anything, I think he will bring a new perspective, a new set of eyes that haven't been jaded by the political and cultural battles that have burdened us for the past 30 years.

Unfortunately, this appears to be turning into another identity election, one where people are voting based on their insecurities and fears, and not upon the issues that face us today and tomorrow. Lies and misperceptions are being spread, and the spectre of the '60's is rearing its ugly head. How long will this ugly and despicable decade continue to haunt our politics? One which started with so much promise, and ended with death and carnage? Why can't older generations just let it go, and move on to what faces us down the road?

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

No comments: